Easy Ways to Prevent Melanoma
Melanoma is known as the most serious type of skin cancer, but if you catch it early, there is a high chance of treating it. Then again, it is still best to prevent melanoma. Melanoma prevention in Portland reduces your chances of having this form of skin cancer.
Here are easy ways to prevent melanoma.
- Avoid too much sun exposure. Although sunlight has its benefits, too much exposure can be harmful to the skin and cause melanoma. If you need to stay outside to get vitamin D, make sure to put a limit to the time you spend outside.
- Make use of sunscreen. The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends using a sunblock location with SPF 15 or higher to help reduce risks of skin cancer. Apply it to the skin 30 minutes before sun exposure. It is also best to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours.
- Cover up and protect your skin with the appropriate clothing. Wear a wide-brimmed hat or a cap and wear sunglasses when you are planning to go out of the house.
- Do a self-check regularly. Take the time to check your skin for any unusuality. Look for moles that do not seem normal. Lesions that are asymmetric, have irregular borders, and come in multiple colors are symptoms of melanoma.
- Do not forget to have your skin checked annually. It is advisable if you have a family history of skin cancer.
To learn more about melanoma prevention and to schedule your annual skin check, set up an appointment with Dr. Patricia Norris by calling 503-227-7117 today.